Content auditing made easy: Steps to consider
The term ‘content auditing’ has been a nightmare for bloggers, marketers and business people for quite a sometime now. No one seems to have a clear cut idea what all to consider and what all can be given less priority. Let’s put a full stop to that.
Content auditing is an in-depth analysis of all your website content and content marketing efforts. This report could give you qualitative insights based on your KPIs where you are lacking and shining towards your online reputation. 90% of content developers and marketers will publish a content based on a trend and never goes back to it again. The content which was once trending and fresh will get outdated soon and it needs to updated based on the market/technology changes. Content auditing will help you to bring out all those buried content in your website and to bring you ROI.
Here are the steps to cover while performing content audit:
- Find the content that brings you maximum organic search
- Find the content which is least attracting visitors or is declining in traffic
- Find the content that is bringing you backlinks
- Find the content that is popular in email campaigns and paid promotion efforts
- Find the content from which most conversions are happening
- Find the content which has more engagements(consider session duration and bounce rate)
- Find the content which is viral over network
- Find the content which brings you email/newsletter subscribers
By going through the above steps, you will have a detailed audit report ready. Now you know which are the content that need promotion, edit or change of strategy. Below given is the action plan you should consider under each category of content.
This is not a one time job, perform similar audits at least once every year to make sure your content marketing is yielding fruitful results. And always look for betterment.